Sunday, November 16, 2014

Completing the Collection

It has been over a year since I rolled out my Nerdling line of earrings.  And the buyers at Tiffany’s and Nordstroms have been pestering me to release another design in time for the holiday season.

Apparently they cannot keep the Barbie Toilet Paper Earrings on the shelf.  And the Barbie Amputated Foot Earrings have become a something of a collector’s item on the Hamptons.

I was faced with the same challenge that I’m certain Michaelangelo had when he finished painting the Sistine Chapel.  


How can I possibly outdo myself?

I knew that my next design had to be unique, trendy and sophisticated.  I decided to go to WalMart for ideas.  


As luck would have it,  I happened upon the Lollapalooza Diaper Surprise Doll.  I had heard about this amazing doll but had never seen one in real life.  Sinkin' amazing.  You feed her, push her belly button and magic charms appear in her diaper!

OMG!  I could make the next generation of Nerdling earrings out of the
Lollapalooza's magic diaper charms!  

I was getting goose bumps.

But she was $29.99, which was way out of my prototype jewelry budget.   I was about to walk away when I noticed that WalMart sold the Diaper Surprise Diaper Packs separately.  For a fraction of the price.  

When I got home I had second thoughts.  What if word got around that I harvested the diaper charms without a
Lollapalooza doll?   I was relatively certain that I could just pour water into the diaper and the magical charms would materialize, but that was cheating.  And it felt wrong.  

Plus, I have a reputation to protect.  



Barbie offered to help, but she put me in an even worse mood.  “Come on, Barbie.  You are way too old for that diaper!” 

Or too young. 


In the end, I decided to pretend that a $29.99 doll was peeing into the diaper.  Through a Go-Girl. 
Admittedly, it was the most fun I’d had in weeks.  That is, until I realized that the charms were made of plastic.  

Pink plastic.  

Earrings made of pink plastic were certainly not worthy of my Nerdling earring collection.  

I decided to go back to the drawing board.  Don't worry...I have another idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment