Saturday, September 26, 2015

Trying New Food

I was disgusted when Dave told me what he'd bought.

"Yuck!  Why would they put pumpkin in Peanut Butter Cups?"  I asked.

"Why not?  It's probably good," he responded.

"Peanut Butter Cups should not be messed with ," I said.  "They are perfect."

The lecture began.  About me being closed minded when it comes to trying new food.

"I try new things," I said, defensively.  "I'm just not as brave as some people." 

"Yeah," says Dave.  "Some people,  as in 99% of the world."

That is just not true. 

The thing is, I really like pumpkin.  I do!   But I kind of OD'd on it last fall.   I was in a rare Julia Child mood and decided to experiment with pumpkin.  I made pumpkin pancakes, pumpkin soup, pumpkin muffins.... 


My family begged me to stop cooking after tasting my pumpkin fish sticks.

And now Dave has purchased stinkin' Pumpkin Peanut Butter Cups!

Reese's Peanut Butter Cups!   My favorite candy in the world.  

They do not need pumpkin!

When I told Kimmy about the Pumpkin Peanut Butter Cups she told me I should try them.    She reminded me that I liked the Caramel Apple M&M's she bought me in New Zealand.

But I don't have the same affinity for M&Ms as I do for Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. 

I thought about it and decided that maybe my family was right.  I am somewhat closed minded when it comes to trying new foods.  

I would taste the Pumpkin Peanut Butter Cups.  Privately.  No way was I going to have an audience for this experiment.

I casually walked past the counter and palmed one Pumpkin Peanut Butter Cup.  

I slowly unwrapped it and noticed that it was shaped like a pumpkin.  Cute.


I bravely took a bite.

OMG.

It was a regular Reese's Peanut Butter Cup.  Shaped like a pumpkin.  

Hence it's name.   

I ate the whole thing.

Then I casually strolled into the family room where Dave was watching football.  "I did it."

"What?"

"I tried the Pumpkin Peanut Butter Cup."

"Wow!  Good for you!  How was it?"

"It wasn't terrible," I said. 

"So get off my damn case about being so closed minded about trying new food," I said.

 As I returned to the kitchen to grab another one.

No comments:

Post a Comment