Saturday, February 2, 2013

Finding My Inner Goose

One would think that I would be a natural Goose Stepper.

I mean, for crying out loud! I am an original member of the world famous First Wisconsin Precision Brief Case Drill Team

But at Miss Saigon rehearsal today, it appeared as if I had lost my goose step. 

And it was nowhere to be found. 

Of course, our choreographer made the goose steps a bit more complicated than just swinging legs high off the ground while marching. And, at the risk of tarnishing Tracy's unblemished reputation, I believe he consumed one too many Mad Bulls while choreographing that chaos.

It was NOTHING like my First Wisconsin Precision Brief Case Drill Team days. 

We were celebrities of sorts, back in the late 80's, entertaining thousands of fans as we performed in parades and festivals. What's not to love about a bunch of bankers wearing suits, carrying plastic brief cases, and executing "intricate" routines (without hurting ourselves)? 

We were stinkin' rock stars

I still get shivers when I recall the audience reaction to our Pinwheel routine. And our Reverse Inward March? Amazing. But it was the Wall Street Journal routine which brought tears to the eyes of our frenzied fans. 

Craig, our drill captain, would whistle 3 times. Like a well oiled machine, we would place our brief cases on the street, open them, pull out our newspapers and return to a standing position. To the beat of a drum, we would open our newspapers, look up and down the left side, then the right side. Then, in unison, we would shout "Market's up."  We would return the newspaper to the brief cases, the whistle would blow 3 times, and we would march on. 

The audiences loved us. 

Sadly, Tracy's choreography does not involve newspapers. Nor are there any pinwheels. 

Instead, Tracy's goose steps require synchronized lunging. 

He also taught us his own version of the Reverse Inward March. I got my hands on his choreography notes. Here's what it looks like:
 

But I haven't given up.

Rome was not built in a day.

I just have to brush off my goose step skills. All I have to do is watch my, "The Making of the First Wisconsin Precision Drill Team" video over and over again.

With practice I am confident. 
I will get my goose back.


I wonder if Tracy would mind if I carried a plastic brief case in Miss Saigon.  For some reason, my gooses geese look better when I'm carrying it.

No comments:

Post a Comment