Saturday, October 20, 2012

Getting With the Script

Sometimes one must simply bite one's tongue.  This is one of those times.

Frank, our director,  wrote the script for tonight's fundraiser.  And it  is absolutely hysterical, from beginning to end.

Well, not quite.

You see, Frank neglected to write the scene involving drawing the winning name for the door prize, which, to me, has the potential of being the highlight of the show.  

But who am I to judge?

Imagine my surprise when, at last night's dress rehearsal, Frank said,  "Kristy and Lou,  come on next and pull the door prize winner.   Just say something funny or big or something."

 
I like to think of myself as spontaneous.  As in, "Go out to Eat" spontaneous, or "Walk Harbison Lake" spontaneous.   Not,  "Be funny or big or something while pulling the door prize winner" spontaneous.

We needed a script. 

The good news is that I had nearly 24 hours to come up with something.  I sent Frank a message before I went to bed suggesting that we announce that the prize is a brand new car.  Then we get band to play "da-da-da-da-da-da" music as we pull the winner from a hat.  

And we hand the winner a brand new toy car.

Pa-dum-pum. 

We'd at least get a couple groans.  And Frank really liked the idea.

Considering my genius at script-writing, it should come as no surprise that my idea morphed into a much better ... much bigger...idea by morning.  

And I couldn't wait to tell Frank about my new idea. 

My idea:  We come on stage and ask the band to play the play "da-da-da-da-da-da" music.  Instead, they play Dragnet da-da-da-da music .  Kristy says, "No, the other da-da-da-da-da-da music".  Then the band starts playing Stripper "da-da-da" music.

And I start getting into the music, dancing seductively,  and begin taking off my clothes.
  
Kristy jumps in front of me to shelter the audience from the spectacle.  Finally she scream-sings the "da-da-da-da-da-da" herself, breaking me from my stripper trance.  I come to my senses, looking embarrassed, and we pull the winner.

That audience will be on their stinkin' feet.

So I emailed Frank the new and improved idea and received this response.

"Um...that may be a BIT more involved than I was thinking. ;-)  How about the toy car/real car bit with a fanfare from the trumpet?"

I was dumbstruck.  Rendered speechless.

But I guess I understand.  

Frank has worked very hard on this show.  As I said, he has written (nearly) every line.

It would be a shame if he was upstaged by a stripper.

1 comment: