Saturday, November 12, 2011

It's Electric!


Some days blog topics just present themselves to me.   

Today is one of those days. 

Becca, Kevin and I went for a morning walk around the trails of Harbison Lake.  It was a beautiful morning and there were a lot of other walkers out and about.  (None were wearing bananas.) 

We were nearing the end of our walk when we saw her.

She was middle-aged and was about 50 yards ahead of us, walking sideways down the path in our direction.  Suddenly, she turned and began moving away from us.

"What the heck is that lady doing?" I asked Becca in confusion.

"The Hokey Pokey?" Becca suggested.

When the woman did a grape-vine and turned 90 degrees I started giggling.

For you to appreciate what happened next, I must disclose some very sensitive information about Becca.  She is not a dancer. Sure, she had to do that Viennese Waltz in The Secret Garden, and she only fell once on stage.  She also survived Cats relatively unscathed.  But I don't think she enjoyed dancing in either show.

And one time I dragged her to Body Jam and...Well, I must be honest here.  I love Becca dearly, but..I have to say it.  

Becca stunk at Body Jam.  She's lucky she didn't hurt herself!  Or me.

She just doesn't have my moves. 

Oh!  One more thing.  Becca does NOT share my affinity for So You Think You Can Dance.  Now, admittedly, I am a bit of a SYTYCD addict.  It's not unusual for me to watch some dances over and over again, getting completely wrapped up in emotion.  

In fact, that Travis Wall "Fix You" routine can still make me cry like a baby.  When I made Becca watch it, guess what.

SHE DIDN'T EVEN NEED A KLEENEX!

(In case you want a good cry, here's that dance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnguqsMQmg4 )

Let's just say Becca is not a connoisseur of dance, which makes what happened next on our walk even more startling. 

Becca was studying the woman and her unusual movements.  

"She's doing the electric slide," she concluded. 

That was exactly what the woman with I-Pod buds in her ears was doing.  And my good buddy Becca, the dancer don't-wanna-be, was the one to correctly analyze the steps and come up with the correct dance.   

She's a stinkin' Name That Dance genius!

As for me?  I just knew is that it wasn't Body Jam. Or tap.

My next challenge was passing the woman without peeing my pants.  (She wasn't making much forward progress, considering she was doing the Electric Slide down the sidewalk.) 

I somehow managed to remain composed.

Yes, I love it when blog topics just present themselves to me.  As I drove into my neighborhood I was greeted with another one.

No comments:

Post a Comment